Each month a post like this will share server cost information, in game updates,
and how donations and my time are spent.
Offering Liberty Minecraft costs me $17.37/month. This includes server and web hosting. Our Liberty Minecraft server for 1 full year costs $161.09 or $13.43/month. LibertyMinecraft.com’s entire cost for 1 year is $47.28 or $3.94/month. The BlueHost invoice also includes 2 additional years of web hosting for which we received a considerable discount.
This month I funded the development of new code for GriefPrevention to solve a claimblock duplication glitch at a cash cost of $11. You can review the invoice here. I have removed RoboMWM’s personal details for his privacy.
This Month In Focus:
We had more events in December. My custom has been to find a theme each month, and this month’s theme was the final and absolute destruction of Universal Basic Income in Liberty Minecraft. You may recall that a technical problem meant I had to provide “claimblocks from play.” UBI in Liberty was eliminated when that technical problem was solved in late November. Celebrating the end of UBI was really special for me. You guys work hard, and providing a Universal Basic Income from thin air was stealing purchasing power from productive hard work and rewarding idle behavior. Compared with eliminating UBI, having UBI is a disaster. Thank you for trusting that I would fix that problem. However, it wasn’t enough just to end UBI. That money was created from thin air, so I earned that money honestly and returned it to thin air.
Your hard work is more valuable now. Tasks that were previously uneconomical due to UBI will become worth doing because the reward for hard work is not devalued by money printing. People who perform those tasks will make our world better because the money they earn is only obtained from voluntary trade with people who expect to be made better by it. I will make a prediction: In 2018 the buying power of Diamond money will increase and players will find completely new ways to earn money.
Perhaps with UBI finally behind us someone will create an automated tree farm for Dark Oak trees. Cheap lumber has been available for two years due to automated tree farms, but these farms were only designed for Oak and Birch trees. Dark Oak, and also Jungle Logs and Spruce Logs are still harvested manually and remain quite expensive. Solving this problem is difficult and requires a lot of investment, and perhaps now that we have triumphed over UBI someone will decide it’s worth solving.
Behind the Scenes!
In December I worked with RoboMWM to solve a Claimblock duplication glitch that affected Liberty Minecraft. I became aware of the problem in December when selling land to intrepidca. Once the problem was discovered I temporarily disabled our Real Estate market to prevent any other instances of duplication. Next I contacted RoboMWM to see about solving this problem. It turns out the issue was first raised many months ago by someone else. We solved that problem in 10 days. I used your donations to fund the work, and RoboMWM’s new code is now publicly available. I want to thank RoboMWM for his hard work. I intend to find better ways to fund work on GriefPrevention in the future.
Throughout December I have also been working to improve our Real Estate plugin. I hope to have more information about this soon. Also, just this morning I’ve started negotiations to buy apik007’s code for ReferralSystemPro. If this goes well then I’ll put it on github and find a developer to continue working on Liberty Referrals which was originally funded by us and developed by apik007.
Liberty in Action:
Every day our players are learning liberty by playing it.
Here are just a few examples:
- Elder Guardians Discovered! For the last 5 months (roughly) I believed that Elder Guardians had become extinct in Liberty Minecraft. Sponges which are rare and valuable are nearly impossible to harvest while the Elders remain on site. However, in December I found four of them. Sky2GG alerted me to two more, bringing the total world population to six! They are safe and sound.
- Haksndot has suggested that he will open a Zoo with Japanimator, the world famous Farmer and Developer. I intend to move an Elder Guardian in once a safe habitat has been created.
- Flying_Nostril has claimed a section of previously unowned path leading out of spawn. He hastily constructed an ugly looking lava obstruction that has since transformed into a relatively nice looking lava corridor. I’m curious to see what would happen if he introduces a toll. Most of all I wonder how people would respond and peacefully deal with it. The old dirt path was not privately owned, it was neglected and had not been invested in much. The new lava corridor represents greater investment but importantly it poses an interesting question: what will happen next?
- A large stretch of the previously mentioned dirt road has been upgraded to cobblestone by NeoConfederate. The cobble road remains unowned, but extends roughly 400 meters. As yet, no one has endeavored to create privately owned roads that cannot be obstructed.
- Development has continued around PizzaJon’s quartz home. Four players have created a small community there. PizzaJon has created a totem pole on site with player sculptures forming the poll.
- Nullmart has become infested with cats. Haksndot’s personal pets have climbed up the large tree in the market square; twelve cats in total, named after the gifts given in some holiday song. Nullmarts owner has no strong affinity for cats. They will be physically removed in the new year.
- The largest fireworks display in survival minecraft was put on this month. Nullcase blew up nearly $4 million in Diamond money to properly pay for a technical problem that created UBI in Liberty Minecraft.
- Supply chains are developing in earnest. This month, produce generated from 100% automatic crop farms was purchased by PizzaJon from NullCase to trade with villagers to produce emeralds. The emeralds were sold back to NullCase at a profit. NullCase used the emeralds to add value by creating and selling maximally enchanted Diamond Pickaxes. Haksndot purchased the pickaxes for $4500 to earn roughly $100,000 per hour by mining for diamonds, a sizable return on investment.
- The privately owned, publicly accessible Netherwart farms at spawn were used many times this month by the Stokedminer’s. At first, they did not replant and sold 100% of their harvest. Then, there were no crops growing and nothing to harvest in the future. Seeing the plots were empty, NullCase planted again to let it grow again. When next the Stokedminer’s harvested they decided to plant some of their harvest instead of selling everything. On their next harvest they had little to sell and something special happened: they planted even more for a bumper harvest next time. Stokedminer and Stokedminer2 planned for the future.
- Remixster buys a village. To increase the villager population, Pizzajon creates a villager breeder. PizzaJon’s land claim on the breeder made it difficult for Remixster to privately acquire the whole village. They nonviolently negotiated a simple solution and Remixter now owns the entire village.
There’s so much more happening in Liberty Minecraft!
Don’t miss out!
Operations and Updates:
Backups were optimized further this month by trimming out files I already have locally. The last two backups of 2017 took under five minutes each instead of twenty and I used just 20% of the usual bandwidth to download our world. Backups are valuable but at 20 minutes each they were becoming a significant burden. That’s no longer true.
Llamas have been added to EggCatcher at the rank Unlimited. I also corrected an issue where $ level donors at Unnamed were unable to use their donor build limit. Also, Zombie Pigmen will no longer spawn from Player Owned Portals. Note that Pigmen will still spawn in traditional Nether portals, so existing Gold Farms will not be impacted. The server was updated every week to use the latest versions of our server plugins.
I’m also preparing for Minecraft 1.13. I expect it to be released next month, and I will make that update available as soon as possible. A number of items are renamed in Minecraft 1.13 and this will probably affect our ChestShop system, so I’ll be watching for that.
Monthly Donations Goal $280 – 1140% achieved!
- Top Donor! $200 – Haksndot The Swedish Invasion has begun! In hindsight that might become something of a historic moment 🙂
- $20 – Remixster Welcome to Liberty Minecraft and thank you so much for the support. I will endeavor to spend your capital wisely.
- $10 – MisterEck The Museum of Natural history is quite an impressive idea. Perhaps pixel art maps will one day display some extinct species of Minecraft mob. Not Elder Guardians I hope! Your reconstructed modern home looks really great!
- $10 – LinearSimcon Welcome to Liberty Minecraft! You literally own a mountain now. I hope the sea lanterns work out well!
- $10 – Julite aka Jullei for 30 days and counting 🙂 Welcome to Liberty Minecraft. Great job in snatching up that land near spawn. It’s just come available. Ideal location too.
- $5 – Something_Sweg Thank you for your continued support. You’re still super rich, and you know… that money is worth like 10-20% more since you last visited.
- $5 – Alienslayer8 I hope you had a wonderful holiday. Thank you for your support.
- $5 – Flying_Nostril Thanks Nostrildamus! Your lava fort is turning out well! I’m curious to see what happens if you introduce a toll for passage.
Because of you I am able to offer Liberty Minecraft,
free of charge to anyone who wishes to learn liberty through experience.
Thank you for betting on me to provide value in the future. It’s been a good year for Liberty Minecraft. Our world changes every single day thanks to you. Thank you for your unwavering support and constant and valuable feedback.
Every month I want to earn your donation by proving that this service is valuable to you. I will do this by continuing to develop Liberty Minecraft and our website LibertyMinecraft.com. I will do this by sharing my progress through posts like this. I will do this by working hard to understand what you want and improving with your feedback.
Every month I want to earn your donation by being transparent about how money is spent. You can find very clear details about how donations will be spent on the Donations Page. Here you can find our Invoices for this and the many months ahead. For my privacy I have removed personal and location information.